Today, Ryan Bigg and I encountered a little issue with
String encodings in Ruby 1.9. In this project, some Merb UTF-8
params needed to be unescaped. We spent some trying to force strings into UTF-8 encoding but for some reason while the
encoding was UTF–8, the actual contents of the strings were getting massacred.
Long story short:
# In Ruby 1.9 # Broken puts URI::unescape("Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg") # => "Baden-WÃ¼rttemberg" # Working puts CGI::unescape("Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg") # => "Baden-Württemberg"
Another lesson we learnt on our adventures today is the following:
m1 = "Munich" puts = m1.encoding # let's suppose it is something other than UTF-8, such as ASCII-8Bit m2 = "München" puts = m2.encoding # let's suppose we have a UTF-8 encoded string # The following will raise an exception about mismatched encodings m3 = m1 << m2 # The easiest way to get around this is to do the concatenation like so: m3 = m3 = m1 << m2.force_encoding("UTF-8")